Now that we understood and explored the factors that lead people to migrate to other countries, several questions arise – how do they do it? what are the possible types of immigration?
- This following article refers to people that choose to immigrate in order to improve their life quality, the types of immigration described below are not referring to refugees and illegal immigrants.
How do people immigrate?
To answer this question fully, it is important to remember that immigration is a process accompanied by choice and not spur of the moment. Therefore the people who choose to immigrate make decisions and act according to it – whether it’s for work purposes or for study purposes.
Types of immigration
When we are asking what types of immigration are there, we are actually asking in other words what types of visa are there.
When reviewing types of visa \ immigration options available we should make a distinction between temporary migration to permanent migration. In immigration countries in most cases people can do the transition from temporary resident to a permanent resident.
First we will explore the immigration option for Temporary Residents:
- Student visa – A student visa is actually a permit to enter a country for studying purposes for not less than 6 month. Study programs can be of many types – vocational studies, postgraduate studies, bachelor degrees and more. Different countries have different rules, laws and regulations regarding international students. Some approve work during the studying period, some do not. For example, in Canada an international student is allowed to work 20 hours a week during semester and full time during school breaks.
- Temporary working visa – A work permit is intended to people outside the country (foreigner) who want to come to the country to work temporarily. In the category of work permit there are different types of visa in different countries. The types of work visa depend on the profession and the job application required. For example, in Israel people can apply for a temporary work permit as a caregiver and allowed to work in Israel for not more than 7 years (in specific cases special visas are received for continuous work for more than 7 years).
- Tourist visa – Tourist visa is intended to people who are interested in visiting a country for the purpose of traveling. Every country has its own rules and regulations regarding the period of time a tourist is allowed to stay in the country (laws regarding duration of stay in the country as a tourist, also depend on where you are coming from – your home country).
- Medical treatment visa – Medical treatment visa is intended to those who wish to receive a medical treatment in a country. As mentioned in the previous categories every country set their own rules regarding this type of visa.In Australia for example the medical treatment visa has two types – long term and short term. In any case and any country when applying for this type of visa the applicant should present all document proving his medical condition that required the specific medical treatment.
When it comes to Permanent Resident Visa – the options are different as well as the requirements:
Countries that receive immigrants and encourage immigration, pose clear and stringent conditions for those seeking permanent residency. Usually they do so through a list of demanded professions through which people can immigrate for purpose of permanent residency. For example, Canada has a point system through which a person can apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker under a program of Express Entry. In addition, in those countries that encourage immigration, it is possible for people to change their status – from a temporary resident status to a permanent resident status – under the laws, regulations, rules and requirements of that country.
when thinking about starting an immigration process, you must think first about the purpose for which you choose to emigrate – What are the goals to which you aspire? These goals will determine the type of immigration and the course of action you need to follow.
Don’t be light headed about it – think carefully and plan ahead!